Sunday, November 1, 2009

NaBloPoMo!


Huh, what the heck is that title??  Well, it stands for National Blog Posting Month, and the idea is to do a post on your blog every day for 30 days. 
I saw this on a blog that I read occasionally, and thought I would try this....again.  I actually have tried this before, either on this blog or a previous one.  I very much enjoy blogs, for whatever reason...maybe as a way of connecting with people, learning about the world beyond my front door and quiet street.  I'm not sure if I've ever done a post that just serves to explain a bit about Who I Am, so here goes:
I'm in my 30's.  I have two daughters, and I've been married to B. for almost 14 years (thinking about going to The Melting Pot again for our anniversary....yum.).  We live in Ohio, which I find to be a pretty great place to live even though most humans always seem to want to live someplace bigger, hipper, warmer, on and on.  I have a college degree which, I have to say honestly, I'm not sure I'm getting much use out of by being a sort-of-SAHM.  I used to have a regular job in the library system here, and left there as a concession to B.'s 70-hour-a-week job with Tar.get, beginning in 2007.  Reading is probably my favorite thing to do, with knitting/crocheting as a close second - although I can't say I've ever actually followed a pattern!
As you can see from the post just previous to this one, our younger daughter was born with a rare genetic syndrome called Prader-Willi Syndrome (first word pronounced PRAH-dur or PRAY-der).  PWS has certainly changed me over the past 5+ years...adjusting to the syndrome, and learning how to live sanely with it and help S. to the best of my ability, has been challenging.  For that matter, being a parent has been challenging!  I have had to deal on a daily basis with this realization about myself:  I'm just not at my best having people (i.e. my kids!) aroud me ALL DAY, asking me questions about every move I make, and just questions in general.  Whoever I was before I had kids, is definitely not who I am now, as a result of my brain having become more than a little fried just trying to get through the day!

One last detail, for now:  If you read any of my other posts, you may find that a)I'm a bit opinionated, b) I like to challenge my brain, and c) I find it a bit hard to take that in our society, women are generally the ones who suffer the most, intellectually and financially, in the process of having children.

Here's to NaBloPoMo!

JB

No comments: