Friday, November 6, 2009

One of the most challenging aspects....

about blogging every day, or just blogging in general, is that I never know if anyone else is reading this except me.

I will admit, I have been too chicken to e-mail all my friends/family/acquaintances and say 'hey, come read my blog', because quite frankly sometimes I may be writing a post and complaining about something, and someone may take it personally even though it wasn't meant that way.  So, for the time being, I don't exactly have a for-sure audience.  I won't say I'm hiding significant parts of my character from my friends/family/acquaintances, but there may be some surprises.  For instance, there is a post on here, from earlier this year, where I'm venting about feeling like a single parent because my husband is very often not home, and in the post I basically say that he begged off a church meeting by saying I was sick, so he couldn't go.  Well, I admit right away that while I was not actually physically ill at the time, I was pretty da%$ sick of being at home with the kids by myself all the time.  Now, some of my friends/acquaintances are people from church. Do I really want them to read that post?  I mean, it's not like I'm confessing to a crime, but still...

  I have to admit, it is a very good 'brain stretch' to consider, throughout the day, what I'm going to post about that day.  Various topics run through my mind, and forcing myself to write every day is definitely a good thing if I believe I have any writing skill at all.  B. sometimes (sort-of-jokingly) asks me when I'm going to write my bestseller!  I always reply, 'yeah, I don't think I exactly have time for that unless you watch the kids for 8 hours a day, and I'll treat writing like my job".  Hasn't happened yet.  But really, if I ever had any thought of writing seriously, it does take serious discipline, and this exercise is a good way of getting in the habit.

At the same time, am I really doing this for an audience?  I mean, it would be fantastic to "meet" other bloggers through this exercise, and I read various blog which have quite a following (yes, I'll admit, I'm a bit envious).  But those blogs have some really gripping story to tell.....a serious illness, a miracle baby, a baby's serious illness, the death of a baby....I don't have a really gripping story, or at least my experiences don't seem all that gripping by comparison.  Sigh.  See?  I'm doubtful that I have a bestseller in me...although, with fiction, it's very easy to come up with a really gripping story, so maybe it's possible yet.

Okay, there's my post for today.  Yay!  I've made it six days, that's a good thing!

JB

No comments: