Monday, November 29, 2010

Wow; cleaning the attic; quesadillas!

Wow, hard to believe it has been over a year since I wrote anything on this blog! How time flies.  I think the challenge about maintaining a blog of any kind is that it demands a certain kind of self-confidence that probably most people don't have...obviously I don't, always! It requires the consistent belief that what one has to say is actually of interest to anyone besides oneself.  While I am a passable writer, I don't honestly believe that my opinions about life are always of interest to my friends, family, or the general public.  But, that's okay.  I'll change up that old saying "you can please some of the people some of the time", and say that "I can interest some of the readers, some of the time".

Yesterday I spent a few hours cleaning out one of our attic spaces, partly with the goal of taking out and going through all the boxes of Christmas flotsam and jetsam.  I got quite a bit done; however I am paying for it today, as I think I may have pinched a nerve or something in the ol' spine/back area, and I'm having balance problems today.  I'm still relieved though to have taken the time to go through that space and rearrange the stuff in there.  I guess I don't mind having boxes of holiday 'stuff' but if we are going to keep it all, I think we need to be realistic about how much of it we actually use, and how much of it we really, truly want to bring out AND PUT AWAY every holiday.  I know Brad is all about putting it out...packing it away and putting the boxes back in the attic in an orderly fashion, not so much.  For myself I can honestly say that I know me on this topic, and I know I really don't want to drag everything out every holiday when it's only going to be out for 3 weeks.  And, because our house is small, in order to even put anything out we have to move or put away a bunch of other stuff first anyway, what a chore.  Brad doesn't really have the time to deal with it all, or the energy, and I don't have the desire, so I say let's get rid of it!!  I even pondered, yesterday since the weather here was decent, setting up a table on the lawn and doing a very impromptu yard sale, and getting rid of holiday stuff.  I didn't do that, of course, as it was just me home with the girls and that pretty much squashes any spontaneity like that, but I did think about it.  I also thought about setting aside holiday decor with the plan of having a yard sale in the spring - but you know how THAT goes.  You set it aside, and six months later when it's actually time to have the sale, you decide you still want those things OR you can't even remember where they are!

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder if I can put carrot shavings in the girls' quesdillas tonight - upping their vegetable consumption - without them noticing?

Later,
Jen

No comments: