Monday, August 29, 2011

Mental "down-time"

The kids finally, finally, finally started back to school today.  It was both a quick AND a long summer.  Part of our current challenge, here, is teaching Elder Daughter (aka "K") how to best tolerate Younger Daughter's (aka "S") behavioral and personality "quirks".  S's quirks are very much generated, at this point, by Prader-Willi Syndrome - and so, while she will grow up and change some, many of those quirks are syndrome-driven and, as such, aren't going anywhere.  Thus, what drives K crazy will continue to do that, unless and until we can help her find some coping tactics.  One of the current coping tactics is for her to go in her room and hang out there with her door closed...but, you know, I don't want her doing that constantly

Anyway.  That's not what I was going to write about!  I was actually going to present this list:

10 things I am taking advantage of, being home by myself:

1.  Being able to take a shower without S needing to use the bathroom.  We do have two bathrooms...that's one thing that sold us on this particular house...but that doesn't mean either child is willing to actually go downstairs and use the other freakin' bathroom!

2.  Being able to move about the house, doing this and that, without persistent questions about what I am doing and why I am doing it.

3.  NOT having to prepare some snack or meal, every 120 minutes.  NOT having to consult the clock unless I need to.  Aaaaah, the mental rest that comes when my child-with-PWS, who is constantly thinking about the next eating time, is at school for 6.5 hours.  Aaaaahhhhhh.

4.  Being able to go outside, let the dog out, skim the pool....and not have to worry about the girls in the house, getting into a vicious back-and-forth over something.

5.  Being able to run errands quickly, without needing to plan it around the 10 - noon - 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. snack/meal times.  Running errands quickly is not possible with any child under the age of, say, 10 or so.  Not that I've run any errands today, but I will tomorrow.

6.  The silence in the house.  The absolute, utter silence.

7.  Being able to use the computer all day, to get things done that I've been putting off for weeks.

8.  Being able to listen to an entire CD, without S coming along and wanting to listen to something herself.

9.  Being able to sit and do absolutely nothing except let my brain rest, for some short length of time.  Aaaaahh.  Bliss.

What does your mental "down-time" look like?  Do you meditate, take a walk, take a drive?

Thanks for visiting.
Later,
Jen

1 comment:

Annie St. John-Stark said...

ooooooo..... this all sounds delish to the extreme! Enjoy the quiet time! For my own utter 'down-time' I will sometimes channel surf, but this is less likely than just sitting, reading the paper with a cup of coffee or tea, and maybe doing the crossword puzzle in the newspaper. Another option, if I am feeling really really decadent is to just sti still and read a mystery, sitting outside in the backyard. No kids, no hubby (though I love them all), hopefully snoozing dogs, no interruptions.